Wednesday, May 5, 2010

We've been bugged!

This is what has taken up our time the last few weeks.....an insect collection!  Actually not the time of year to find many of the fantastic insects that usually co-exist with us.  Looking at God's creations is fascinating and is also a wonderful learning experience, but this time it was a little difficult. Some of the insects we collected were found last fall and preserved for this assignment, but when the teacher did not make the assignment in the fall, we quit our searching.  He then had an afterthought, I think, and decided when it was still cold out to assign this project. 

I know most people think 'bugs' are pretty icky, but since it's kept us so busy, I thought I would preserve the moment on my blog! :) 

Part of the workspace. Insects, magnifying pieces...I am blind, but we had to have them identified perfectly!



One of our unusual finds.  This is the infamous "Dung Beetle"  and can you believe he was on our back porch! I called him my 'helmet' bug!  But, really, did not know we even had these in the South.


Found him, too, YUCK! I definitely do not like lizards!  He was minding his own business behind this garbage can when I moved it to look underneath.  Needless to say, I will never know if there were any insects under that can!


We did have some 'beauty' on her board with this Calico Pennant Skimmer Dragonfly! Oh, the intricate details of God's world!


As you can see, my 'baby' did get brave and she actually pinned all but one of her specimens on the board!
This was not the entire board, it does have more on the right.  This was a tiring, often frustrating, project. It should have been a fun one like the time I helped my son with his. Different teacher, though.  If only it had been in the fall when insects are still pretty abundant!

No comments:

Post a Comment