Legend of the Sand Dollar
There's a pretty little legend
That I would like to tell
Of the birth and death of Jesus
Found in this lowly shell
If you examine closely,
You'll see that you find here
Four nail holes and a fifth one
Made by a Roman's Spear.
On one side the Easter Lily,
Its center is the star
That appeared unto the wisemen
And led them from afar.
The Christmas poinsettia
Etched on the other side
Reminds us of His birthday
Our Happy Christmastide.
Now break the center open
And here you will release
The five white doves awaiting
To spread Good Will and Peace.
This simple little symbol,
Christ left for you and me
To help us spread his Gospel
Through all eternity.
Anonymous
It's getting warm in my part of the world and that brings rushing thoughts of summer. Summertime always means a trip or two to the beach, which is my favorite vacation place. The very first sand dollar I owned, I believe I bought at a little store on the beach. It came with a postcard with the Legend of the Sand Dollar. At that young age, I had not ever heard the meaning as it related to this beautiful piece of God's work that I held in my hand.
I hope you enjoy reading this legend, whether it's for the first time or one of many times. I also hope you can see from the pictures of the three we have displayed in our home, the story they depict so well. God bless!
Be sure to visit Faded Charm, the hostess of White Wednesday, and view the other beautiful contributions made to this event.




I enjoyed this story about sand dollars. I've always loved them and to find whole ones can be a challenge. Thanks for sharing today.
ReplyDelete~Happy WW~
Kathleen
I have a postcard from Fl with that on it. I love all things from the ocean. Sand dollars are so unique.
ReplyDeleteLove finding sand dollars at the beach! Still have many around the hosue!
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet story!
ReplyDeleteHappy day!
xojanis
I never tire of the story of the sand dollar. I actually have one that I bought years ago in my jewelry box. I have always found the story/poem to be inspirational. Thanks for sharing it and for reminding me of its meaning.
ReplyDelete